18- Quranic Gem
اذا قمتم الي الصلوة فاغسلوا و جوهكم……
“O you who believe, when you stand for prayer then wash your faces and your hands including the elbows and do masah of the head and wash your feet including the ankles.”
Note: according to Ahnaf, masah of quarter of the head is fardh and masah of the whole head is sunnah (الاستيعاب). In the above verse the 4 compulsory acts of wuzu are mentioned.
Wuzu is a very virtuous act, but sad to say people have ‘trivialised’ this deed. Wuzu is a specialty of a believer, it comes in one Hadith,
و لا يحافظ علي الوضوء الا مؤمن
“Only a believer stays in the state of wuzu.”
In the mosque we see that people walk in last minute and perform wuzu quickly without keeping in mind the prerequisites, sunan, mustahabbat of wuzu.
Whereas rasulullah صلي الله عليه و سلم has said,
مفتاح الجنة الصلوة و مفتاح الصلوة الطهور
“The key to paradise is salah, and the key to salah to be in a state of complete purity.”
(I.e not in need to Fardh ghusl and have wuzu)
Once a sahabi whilst doing wuzu forgot to wash his feet properly, rasulullah صلي الله عليه و سلم said,
وَيْل للاعقاب من النار
“Destruction for those feet in the fire”
(Which means if you don’t wash your feet properly then your wuzu is not complete, and if your wuzu is not complete your salah won’t be valid, and because of which you’ll have to go in the fire. The sahabi immediately washed his feet properly)
Below are some virtues of wuzu which are mentioned in Ahadith:
1. Wuzu is one of the pillars of Islam (Ibn Khuzaimah)
2. If doing wuzu for every Salah wouldn’t have been difficult for my ummah, I would have ordered them to so.
3. Whosoever does wuzu even though he is in the state of wuzu, will receive 10 virtues.
4. Being clean is half of Deen.
5. The one who does wuzu properly, his sins are washed away from his limbs so much so that even from under his nails.
6. No Muslim does wuzu properly and thereafter performs 2 rakat with full concentration except that paradise becomes compulsory for him. (It was the practice of Sayyidana Bilal RA that whenever his wuzu broke, he would immediately do wuzu and thereafter perform few rakats of Salah)
Whosoever does wuzu properly and then recites the Shahadah, all 8 doors of paradise are flung open for him.
7. The prophet صلي الله عليه و سلم said, I will recognise my ummah on the day of judgement through their limbs because they will be shining due to wuzu. (It was the practice of Abu Hurairah RA to wash his hands up to his armpits and he would say that I want my shine to be long on the day of judgement)
8. Once rasulullah صلي الله عليه و سلم addressed the sahaba RA saying, should I not tell you which deeds expiates sins and elevates your ranks? They replied in the affirmative. He said, 1) Doing wuzu properly even though it’s difficult (cold water) 2) Abundance of foot steps towards the masjid (a person should walk to the masjid if he lives in the vicinity of the masjid) 3) Waiting for the next prayer after one prayer.
Sayyiduna Ibn Umar (radhiallahu anhu) narrates that Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said:
من بات طاهرا بات في شعاره ملك لا يستيقظ ساعة من الليل إلا قال الملك : اللهم اغفر لعبدك فلانا فإنه بات طاهرا اخرجه ابن حبان
“Whoever sleeps in the state of purity, an angel spends the night (with him) in his garment. He does not wake up at any time of the night except that the angel says, “O Allah, forgive such-and-such slave of yours, because he went to sleep in the state of purity” (Ibn Hibban)
We should try and stay in the state of wuzu all the time, there are many blessings and benefits, both worldly and spiritually.
Mufti Usama Mahmad